Friday, February 5, 2010

the fabric allergy..

To understand how amazing this bug that bit me is.. you have to know a little back story.

*DEEP BREATH*

When i was a baby my mom would tote me around to fabric stores dreaming of the day when she could teach me how to sew. Her mother taught her how to sew and had wonderful bonding time while they completed projects together. You can say it "awwwwwww". Ok, now get ready to wipe those tears.

As the toddler years rolled around I started throwing a tantrum the VERY SECOND we walked through those glass House of Fabrics doors. Needless to say, me and my dad spent quality time in the car while my mom shopped. As I got older I would feign illness to get the HECK out of that store as soon as possible. Then eventually I would just shrug off questions my mom would ask about how fabrics looked together or blah blah blah. She made all of my prom and dance dresses (minus one but that doesn't sound as good as "all").

People would ask me all the time if I was going to be like my mom and sew all the time and be great and fabulous and make blankets for the sick and costumes for the primary.. buuuuuh. My answer was always the same, "That gene must have skipped me." My mom would tell people that I had an "allergy to fabric". Sounds about right. I would just nod and agree. At least she understood! Anyway, she quilts, she hems, she creates and I would get bored and annoyed at all the racket of the sewing machine chugging away while I was trying to watch Real World.

.....flash to the year I turned 21. Would you believe that I voluntarily entered a fabric store? Me either. Not only that, but I was ACTUALLY looking for fabric.. wow. I'm healed? apparently so.
Then I called my dad. He owns a vacuum & sewing machine store and I asked him the hardest and most embarrassing question I had ever him.

"Dad? I'm not sick I promise... you won't believe what I'm about to ask you... do you think... maybe... you might be able to.... find me a sewing machine?" silence....... "Please??" I choked as the words exited my lips. I cringed as I waited for the answer. I was half-suspecting him to schedule me a psych appointment or at the very least, faint. "Yeah sure! What kind do you want?" It was that easy? Really? My mom on the other hand made sure that he HOOKED ME UP with all the sewing goodies my weak little sewing heart could handle.

The rest of that year my sewing machine got little use, but it WAS used (miraculously). I made a corset for my pirate costume... grommets and all. I'm sure when my dad handed me the sewing machine he thought this was a "phase" I was going through since I was the "phase" type of child. Then I turned 22, helped my sister-in-law sew some quilts for her nieces and nephews, made another costume, crocheted around some baby blankets...(and probably sewed a few other things that got thrown to the side because I was disgusted with myself...)

FF to today. (FF=fast forward... its on your remote control)

This week my mom came. What did we do? Sew. I'm surprised her heart didn't fail. I made table runners, curtains, table squares and picked out ALL the fabric. We went to the fabric store 3 times in 3 days. Again, I thought she would have been hospitalized by now. Apparently I have caught the "bug". The allergy is lifted and I'M HEALED! HALLELUJAH! Now I have to take back all the naughty things I said about sewing. BUH.

Anyway, I thought this post would say, "I sewed some crap, I'll post pics later." Guess I had a little bit more to say.

Love, D

1 comment:

  1. I haven't ever been into sewing. Maybe someday I'll be healed too...

    And I definitely want to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete